Saturday, January 21, 2012

(ENG) Chapter 7 Horacio Kalibang

Para los lectores de español:
Si desea leer el texto original "Horacio Kalibang o los autómatas" por Eduardo Ladislao Holmberg  en español, puede descargar el archivo PDF, haga clic en "ciencia ficción" en la página principal.  


Note to English speaking readers: this is the final installment of Horacio Kalibang o Los Automatas.  To read this from the start go to:
http://sciamremix.blogspot.com/2011/12/eng-chapter-1-horacio-kalibang.html

VII.
Some time later, the house of the burgomeister Hipknock was full of people, to celebrate a grand day of family.

The now captain Hermann Blagerdorff was joining his destinies to those of the señorita Luisa Hipknock.

It was very natural.

They had read Werther and loved each other.

When two young Germans or any other nationality are in love, even if they have read Werther or not, get married or don’t get married: only, yes, it should be noted that: when getting married, they never wonder if they are automata or not.

"Everyone has come, except Fritz. Where could Fritz be?" asked the burgomeister, making a gesture of displeasure.

When they sat around the table, Hipknock, still standing, said in a solemn tone:

"My friends! Permit me a question: Among you, is anyone an automata? Tell me, please."

They all looked at each other: some because they did not know what an automaton was, others because they knew all too much.

"And Fritz? Why has Fritz not come?"

No one knew.

Horacio Kalibang entered with the desserts, and gave the burgomeister a letter from Fritz.

It read as follows:

"My dear cousin, burgomeister Hipknock.
Hermann has anticipated me in the heart of Luisa -no matter- I have her automaton, who will love me perpetually, with neither change or replacement, because my love will be indelibly etched in the sincerest responses from her springs. May they be happy in their vows, those will be my wishes. I have accompanied you as an automaton during the night (on which), meeting in your home, we celebrated the birthday of Luisa; as automaton I have gone with you, the next day, to the party of Oscar Baum. Oscar Baum is I, do not be frightened, cousin. You already know that Horacio Kalibang is also an automaton. When Luisa has children, that human machine will teach them, with special methods, all that that they must know. I send Horacio Kalibang for her: a wedding gift. Although in human form, Kalibang is a book. He is the only being who can be trusted.  I am old, noble, and rich enough, for you to consider me powerful. You have been witness. I have the world in my hands, because I control it with my automata.

When, submerged into the tornado of politics, you find any person who is beyond what reason and conscience dictate to every honest man..you can exclaim: it is an automaton!

When, submerged in the great battles of thought, your scientific opponent calls in his own support, the mysteries of the faith, you can exclaim...it is an automaton!

When you see a poet who paints for you what he does not feel, a speaker who flatters the people, a doctor who kills, a lawyer who lies, a warrior who flees, a patriot who cheats, an enlightened fanatic, and a sage who brays..you can say about each one of them: "It is an automaton!". Yes, Hipknock, yes, I have filled the world with the products of my factory.

Remember often, Oscar Baum, or if you like, your cousin Fritz. Persist in your ideas, they are the light of the future!

An embrace to all.


Upon reading this letter, tears streamed down the cheeks of the burgomeister. When his daughter Luisa, now the wife of Blagerdorff, said goodbye, he said these words in her ear:

"You will be happy, my daughter, because there is something great and noble that watches over you. You will have children if you obey, like everyone else, the organic automatism, I will be the most happy of grandfathers, since I am the most unfortunate of cousins. And when I have a grandchild, who will be my glory and my delight, I will know to tell him, and if I die, be certain to tell this to him: "My child, before spreading the aromas that flow from your heart, examine with care that it is not an automaton who holds the cup that receives them."

The reader will touch the other springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment