Monday, January 16, 2012

(ENG) Chapter 5 Horacio Kalibang

Para los lectores de español:
Si desea leer el texto original "Horacio Kalibang o los autómatas" por Eduardo Ladislao Holmberg  en español, puede descargar el archivo PDF, haga clic en "ciencia ficción" en la página principal. 


V.
The burgomeister had just gotten up.
The veil of uncertainty had disappeared from his face, which was already cheerful.
"Hum! He is skilled, the artist. Let’s see  what he is up to."
And at that moment, as if the circumstances came together to satisfy his curiosity, a servant entered in the room, bringing a letter.

Hipknock opened the envelope and read:

"Señor burgomeister Hipknock:
I have been established in this town, for the past two days, with the purpose of working more quietly than in Berlin. I take the liberty to invite you at two in the afternoon, to this house, Avenue X, where I hope you will honor me by seeing my work.

A manufacturor of automata for some years, the latest discoveries of Edison have hurt my national pride, stimulating me to direct my research to an ultimate direction: I am on the eve of making a brain that functions by itself.

Knowing, as I do, the philosophical ideas and wisdom of the esteemed burgomeister, I believed that there was no one better to give a judgement on some of my work.

I greet the esteemed burgomeister with the highest consideration.

Oscar Baum
Creator of automata."


"Hello, Señor Baum! So you were the stranger last night, eh? Very well, we will see your automata. And Kasper will have gotten away with it? And what will be my nephew the lieutenent say when he finds out?”

Directing himself to the servant, he told him:

"Run to Fritz's house and tell him I wait for him for lunch; and also add that it is necessary to come even if he is dying."

The servant left and the burgomeister was left alone, delivered to his reflections, which, by the way, were not very favorable, of either the spiritualists, or the clergy.

"Donnerweter!"  he said, repeating the words that he had heard from Baum the previous evening. "Ich habe ihn jetzt gefunden"  This is what we will record on a plate of gold, if the fabricator of the automatas speaks the truth.

Note to readers: to continue reading click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment